Thursday, October 14, 2010

Parliament and Currency Museum

Whoa. What a fantastic day we had!
The Parliament Buildings was where we started our trip. There was a little waiting at the beginning but the library alone was worth the wait. We learned that you can't just take books out with a library card, you have to be a Member of Parliament. I you happen to be an MP, you may think about checking out a book about birds. Make sure not to lose it though since it costs $14 000 000! I was very impressed with the kids and their questions. I was even more impressed with some of the answers our kids supplied. The research they have been doing for their projects seems to be paying off! One of our smarty pants even knew that the final process for which a bill becomes a law is called the Royal Assent! We were a bit rushed to get through the tour but it has left them wanting. If you're ever looking for a weekend or summer activity, you may want to plan another trip back there.
The National Bank was where we headed to next. I had never been. They gave us an excellent presentation on currency. We learned a lot about our bills. The kids found the "puzzle number" and the "ghost picture" really interesting. We also learned that we are getting new bills next year which will be printed on polymer! After the presentation, we toured the Currency Museum and saw a 3000 year old coin from China!
While waiting for the bus we got to play on the lawn of the Supreme Court. The kids were well behaved and we all had a good time.
I will be at home tomorrow with a sick little girl. The kids will be too busy to miss me. They are counting pizza money, working on their research projects, writing in their communication books, and trying to finish their Coat of Arms. I hope everyone has a restful weekend!

No comments: