We started by identifying what it looks like to be engaged. Here is what they came up with. I think this is bang on. Now, we at least know what we should look like.

Next, we reviewed what Will taught us in math last week. He lead us through some hands on lessons so that we could see how the areas of the parallelogram and the triangle relate to the area of the rectangle.

After that, we looked at a way to solve math problems. This is a model that the whole school is going to use so that we can start to develop a common language for math. To follow up, I gave them a problem to solve involving area. They are going to start solving this problem tomorrow in math. We also started our math journals today. This is a place for students to write about math. Today, they wrote out instructions for doing lattice multiplication.

In Literacy, we looked at the skill of summarizing. I reviewed a handy chart that can be used. Somebody-Wanted-But-So-Then. We used it to summarize the two picture books we've looked at so far.


Once we did those summaries together, we watched this amazing stop-motion animation. We watched it a couple of times but did not discuss it. Then the students summarized the story using the chart.
After gym, I showed them the making of that stop-motion. I think there is an amazing amount of problem solving and teamwork evident in this project.
Students have also been writing some fantastic letters about their writing. Most are handing in their second letters this week. I will send home the notebooks soon.
Students have also been writing some fantastic letters about their writing. Most are handing in their second letters this week. I will send home the notebooks soon.
1 comment:
Looks like some excellent lessons are being taught. I like the math busters chart and math journals are a learning tool I've heard about at university and now I'm seeing it in class. Cool videos too!
Post a Comment