Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello!

It was another whirlwind day in room 310.
In math, the students created story problems based on the following math sentence:
2 1/4 + 1/8 + 1 1/2 = 3 7/8
I have not had a chance to check their work but I believe some of them were struggling. From their homework, I can see they are struggling with finding common denominators. We have been trying to learn how to do this by experience rather than by me telling them how. I find when I just tell them how, I quickly lose a lot of the class.
We have been experiencing the "how" of common denominators through our continuing sandwich saga. Today, Vita showed us how, for last week's homework question, she counted by 5s and by 4s and found that 20 appeared in both lists. This showed her that she should cut all of the sandwiches into 2o pieces because then she could easily compare them and see, with numbers, who got more pieces.
Because so many of them were struggling with that part of last week's homework, I assigned another question that focuses on just that concept. Most are doing a question where they are cutting three pizzas so that each pizza has the same sized slices.
Some, who did not struggle with the concept, are doing a question that involves adding fractions. I did not show them how to add fractions, but we discussed how you could extend the thinking from last week's question in order to add fractions that have unlike denominators.
Next up in math will be a connection between fractions and decimals. Grade 6s will also be looking at percents.
This week marks the beginning of our letter writing portion of the reading program. I have divided the class into four groups and have assigned each group a day of the week. This will be the day that their letter is to be handed in from now on. We will start with the Thursday group who should hand their letter in to me on Thursday. I will post the groups here tomorrow.
The letter is something that they will be writing in class. During our half hour of independent reading time, students will now also be responsible for writing their letters. One letter per week. Some asked if they could do their letters at home. I prefer that they write them in class. If they come to the day before it is due, and they haven't started yet, they should check in with me and I may allow them to finish it at home. These letters should not be a summary of what they are reading. My expectations are that they reflect what they understand by asking questions, making connections, making predictions, and commenting on how they are feeling as they read. I expect that each letter (depending on the student), should range from three short paragraphs, to several paragraphs spanning a page. Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.
In class today, all of the 5/6s met with Megan, myself, and Amy (Ray's supply). We discussed Facebook as a group. Megan spoke about the dangers and related some incidents that she's experienced. Our message was that they, and you, need to be wary of how to protect themselves. We spoke about appropriate behaviour on social media, and inappropriate behaviour. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact Megan or myself.
The students are working on creating dance moves and then putting those moves together into a routine. I saw their preliminary routines today. We have some groovin' kids in the group. I look forward to learning all of their moves.
We will spend some time this week completing another CASI. This is a reading assessment where students read a short piece and then answer questions based on it. We use these assessments to guide our planning.
This week, we have skating on Friday and our last electives date. Because of electives, our skating time will be earlier than normal.
Hope you are all having a warm evening. Keep in touch.

No comments: