Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday, February 14, 2011








Happy Valentine's Day everyone. I hope you have a lovely day full of love.
First of all, I want to send out a big thank you to all of the volunteers that helped us out last week. From the Winter Walk Day to the Canal, we had a great time embracing winter and it would not have happened without you. Our day on the Canal was pretty close to perfect. The conditions and weather were lovely, and the students were well behaved and had a lot of fun.
Please remember that there is a PD day on Friday and that Monday is Family Day.
Although the next two weeks are short, I will still be giving out homework starting with a new math question. We have started our look at decimals today. This is this week's math homework question:
Find as many ways as you can to represent each of these numbers as fractions and as decimal numerals.
six-hundredths
nine-tenths
fifteen-hundredths
thirty-five-hundredths
four-tenths
fifty-hundredths
I am actually not going to assign this question until tomorrow's math class, BUT, I will give them some time in class to work on it tomorrow. This homework will be due on or before Thursday.
In Literacy, we are going to be taking a closer look at inferencing, or reading between the lines, as we read to help us better understand what we are reading. We are also looking at a couple of picture books about Rosa Parks. These books take different perspectives on Rosa Parks' brave stand.
The class and I are also working on a very special big project. I cannot tell you much about this project as we are trying to generate some buzz first and we felt the best way to do this was to be secretive. All we can say right now is that it's going to be big, fun, and create change. Stay tuned. The RAKs are coming.
We will be having student led conferences coming up on February 24th. There is no PD day given for this event. Instead, we will be having them during the day. You can come at any point during the school day between 8:00 and 2:45. Your student will take you on a tour of what they have been learning and how they feel they have been doing. As this will be a regular school day, I will be teaching and working with the other students while you are on your "tour". While you may come at any time, I would love to know an approximate time so that we can better prepare for your visit. If you cannot make it, your student can bring home some of the work that they reflected on.
Have a LOVEly day!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiiu, that was the best time ever! You made it fun with your humor!:)
My day gets better with your humor! The canal skate was awesome because of you!
From your biggest fan,
Desanka

Anonymous said...

THe winter walk to school day was great! I loved the hot apple cyder they had! Yum! It was really funny because before I came to school that day I had a big back pain. But when I started walking with the school it just went away!

Ryo

Anonymous said...

You bright up my day
from,
Desanka